Day in the Life

Four thousand holes in Blackburn Lancashire...

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Where I Begin

Apologies to all, due to the worthless pile of crap my computer has become this past month, I've decided to become another random blogger in a vast universe of random bloggers in a feeble effort to make myself believe people actually care what I'm up to. (5'6" btw.) Yes, I'm notorious for many things, one of them being the fact that I'm horrible at keeping in touch, so hopefully this will help bridge the gap between me and you guys now that the 'middle-sized city' gal has made the move to the 'big city,' leaving you all in her wake wondering why?.......why?!?!?!? (And for those keeping track, I'm also notorious for burning tomato soup. Any other soup I'm cool with, but tomato always gets the best of me.)

One more thing before I begin, as many of you can attest to, I really don't know when to shut up, especially when I'm writing. A well-known truth for both prolific writers and talkers alike is that a lot is said, but only half of it is of any substance. Okay, maybe one third in my case. On a good day. Anywho, be warned! I tend to jabber on and on about the seemingly most senseless shit sometimes, but I'll try to keep it down to a minimum in this blog and save my great epiphanies that come at that oh-so-key 4am witching hour for the "incoherant ramblings" section. Then again, I'm one of those people who likes to write as a form of therapy, so no promises.

So for those of you playing with us at home today, I'll give you the quick recap:
I graduated. (about bloody time!)
I'm a nurse. (stranger things have happened)
I moved to downtown Toronto. (was on crack at the time)
Living in an apartment with my sister (JESSSIICCCCAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!)
Got a FT job at Princess Margaret Hospital (my lucky SOB streak continues)

So that was for the benefit of you on a strict time schedule (you cheap insensitive bastards). Here's the rest, here's where I begin:

Yes, I'm no longer a student. Strange days indeed. A full time employee, independent (?), responsible (?), mature (?), ready to take on the world of income tax, pension plans, and the ever-looming threat of osteoarthritis. All this at the tender age of 23? I'm over the hill now for sure. Can't say I miss school though, that whole 8am class thing was barely tolerable to begin with and absolute torture by the end. So great to do what I've been studying to do for 4 years. So great to get paid for it (what a concept!) So incredible to come home and not have any crap assignments or essays or exams to work on. Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, I am free at last! (with apologies to Martin Luther King Jr.)

This whole FT job thing is a trip. Princess Margaret is right downtown T.O. and is the leading oncology (cancer) hospital in Canada, so I feel pretty lucky to be starting out there. The floor I work on is for hematology patients (ie. blood cancers: leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma, etc.) which means we do a lot of bone marrow transplants (I know that means nothing to some of you, just smile and nod). It's a pretty fast paced and intense floor, on a physical, mental and emotional level, but I somehow love it. It's not easy and sometimes you get down but the things I learn and the people I meet save me time and time again. It's hard not to sound soft when talking about stuff like this but honestly, I'm reminded every time I come into work what's truly important in life. The things I worry about seem so piddly and inconsequential when stacked up against the the problems of these people. My work means a great deal to me but it's hard at the same time, since a regular day at work for me is not something that can be discussed over some dinner or beers with buds. It's heavy stuff and so I'll save my stories for the "Fixing a Hole" section. One of those things where I write because it's therapy, not because I want to unload the things I see and do on anyone. You're more than welcome to read them, but just be warned that there's not always happy endings. That said, I love my job. And not to toot my own horn, but I'm a pretty freaking awesome nurse.

So Toronto, eh? WTF??!?! Never in a million years did I ever want to find myself here, yet somehow here I am. It was a decision based on many things, and being on crack certainly did help. Surprise, surprise, I'm happy here and it's the best decision I could've made. A tough one though. I moved to the city with no job lined up, into an apartment with a sister who moved out 3 days later to spend the summer in Wales. WTF?!?! It was exciting (yet lonely) but I got a job in no time and ended up having a super summer, meeting some great new buds and exploring all the sights on my bike and coming into my own. Couldn't have done it without Jim and Jolan, an absolute amazing pair that became a trio. Jessmessham is back now and the flipping BEST roomie ever in the history of best roomies ever. I still have a love/hate relationship with the city and it really does smell like ass in the winter but I can deal with it. I won't be around long term but it'll be great while it lasts. Bike thieves though! The fuckers!!!!! But yeah, Toronto's very cool. Don't say you heard it from me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home