Day in the Life

Four thousand holes in Blackburn Lancashire...

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Floating On Okay

Happy heatwave guys, I hate how I've barely seen any of you this summer. It seems everyone I know from both high school and university have just scattered into a million different places, reaching all the far corners of the earth (Steph!) and as much as I'm not a fan of technology really, without email I guess we'd be SOL. It blows goats when I have only every weekend off, can't be everywhere at once. As usual, open invitation remains standing, if you're in T.O. (blech!) drop by or call anytime. I'd love to see you. (Except you Marc. Thornhill my ass! Or is it Richmond Hill? I can never remember. Stupid T.O. burbs.)

So summer's maybe half gone already? Can't be. Other than being abroad, mine has been spent working, eating/drinking out with Jess, relaxing with Jolan and T.O. friends and all sorts of other odds and ends. Typical summer stuff, made all the better by the presence of an outdoor pool in our new apartment (if that's not an incentive to come visit, then you can all just piss off). Nice to take little swims by myself in the early AM to cool off after coming home from night shifts, just floating and contemplating life with all it's complexities and trying to find the meaning of it all. (So far no luck.) The cool thing is that the pool is on the 4th floor (my floor) and we're literally surrounded on all sides by condos and high rises, so all those early risers get an eyeful of me in a bathing suit along with their morning coffee. So lucky! (Nightswimming is my favourite though, deserving a quiet night ;) We also have two tennis courts beside the pool to let me work my way up to Wimbledon. And even if this new place sounds like high society, no worries, even with pool and courts, I still find time to mingle with the commoners.

(Wimbledon and a pool pale in comparison to the great outdoors any day, I'll be doing some cottage and camping coming up with the usual suspects, Canadian life at it's finest!)

Saw Hotel Rwanda a few weeks back and am getting antsy to get on the move again. It's a terrific movie, obviously very powerful and seeing full out genocide being played out in streets that look so familiar to me made a huge impact. It reminded me of all the things I learned over there (everything being a little clearer and a little hazier at the same time) and how I'm feeling a cultural gap these days. Perhaps my sights aren't set on returning to Africa just yet (Australia being the front runner at the moment), but in any case, watching movies like that make me remember that I have to continue to push and challenge myself and see the world, just as I promised myself I would.

For now though, I'll just have to sweat it out a bit longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home