Day in the Life

Four thousand holes in Blackburn Lancashire...

Friday, June 23, 2006

우수한 모험 (The excellent adventure)

Now I know when people think summer vacation, South Korea automatically comes to mind. Regardless, and to be cliche, I went anyway. And then I came back. So, to soften the blow of finding myself once again working and living in Toronto, I thought I'd reminisce and jot down some thoughts and quaint observations on the little country I called Korea. Because that's what it was called.

First the technicalities, or as some kind nurses have said "Korea?!?! WTF?!?!" My magnificent trip abroad is all thanks to Angele my belle, an awesome friend from my Barrie days whose friendship was cemented when I taught her how to close down the sandwich station while we were both working at Wendy's (she was a slow learner but eventually came around ;) She's been teaching English to Korean kindergarten kids for the past 9 months in a town 45 min south of the capital Seoul. She invited me so I figured "meh...why not?" and dropped by.

14 hour flight and 13 hour time difference later, I was there.

Oh and note to self: BLLLLAAAAARRRRGGHHHHHH I hate flying. Get to Australia by boat.

(And for those of you not knowing that I'm leaving for Australia, jump back a few blogs and get with the freaking program people! Jk, I'm only mildly offended that you don't check this site every single day.)

Right, Korea: pure fun, Asian style. As soon as I arrived, tired and ridiculously jetlagged as I was, I decided to not waste a moment's time and get my first taste of this strange new land I now found myself in. So we dropped off my stuff, headed into Seoul and watched game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals at a Canadian expat bar named the Rocky Mountain Tavern. (Edmonton! What happened!??!) We were joined by Angele's fellow Canadian teachers who she lives in a small apartment complex with, very much like rez (complete with floorcest!) How great was it to watch them get all misty eyed when Canadian commercials came on? If you ask me, Korean commercials are waaaaaay better, especially since 96.74% of the Asian actors are for sure gay.

After that, she showed me how the public transport system worked, what street meat to avoid (ie. all of it) and from there I was pretty much left to my own devices. She worked 9-3 or 9-7 every weekday so a good chunk of my time was spent wandering aimlessy around Seoul seoul-o. (Seoul-o! Ha! Get it? Solo! Oh nevermind.....) Not that I really minded though. It's been a bit of a hard past month or so for me and it was nice to just be by myself in a foreign country and be able to think things through a little. And besides, apart from my annoying need for frequent bathroom breaks, I'm a pretty darn cool person to travel with.

Okay, don't want to make this blog too long so I'll leave it at that for now. Cliffhanger though, huh?!?! Ohhhhh......Amy's all alone in Korea....what will she do next.......?

1 Comments:

  • At 6:55 AM, Blogger xianfu said…

    hmm korea???.. must be the korean drama wave.. lolz.. witty...lolz... wat a lovely blog here... visit my blog and tell me wat do u think about it InvernoKL keep up all the good works.. rocKZ!! :p take care, xian

     

Post a Comment

<< Home